The swimming pool water can be heat using the swimming pool solar heaters. The pool system can already includes the pump, controller and the filter along with a PVC pipes which route the water flow into your pool.
You can simply break into the PVC line after the filter and run a couple of flex hoses to the solar collector panel which you can lay out on the ground or to set it against a hill to achieve some tilt towards the sun.
When the valve in your solar system is closed the water runs exclusively via the solar collector panel for heating the water. When you open the valve only less water flows via on the collector panel. This option will help you to adjust the heat level of your pool.
The solar collector panels are present at most of the pool supply stores and you can able to get a 4 feet* 20 feet solar panel for only $220. Some of the solar panel heaters may need adaptors to work on your pools.
To heat your pool water in a effective way you need to follow the below tips,
- You need to keep the solar energy collector panel on the place where it sees the most sunlight when the pool pump is running.
- If you keep the solar panel collector panel on your home roof the try to minimize the resistance to the water flow level on your pool.
- You need to keep the solar panel out of the wind as much as possible.
- If you want to get the best heating results, you need to run the pool pump at the sunniest time of the day and running it for a longer time will result in more heat on your pool.
- If you are decided to use 2 or more than 2 solar collector panels, you need to connect them in a parallel way.
Apart from the above rules, the general rule of using the solar panel collector is to use a total collector surface area which is about half of the surface area of your pool. But this will varies a little bit. Sizing your collector surface area is based on the below factors,
Running time of the pump:
When your pump is running a long time, then you can collect more heat with small size collectors.
Location of the pool:
If you have an in-ground swimming pool, then the heat loss is much greater and you need collectors with a large surface area.
Solar potential when the pump is on:
The heat level depends on the sunlight falls on the panel.
If you have more wind environment then you will run inefficiently unless they are glazed. In a full-scale, the professional grade swimming pool solar system when the pump is on and the controller decides whether to activate the solar collectors by measuring the temperature at the collectors and temperature of the pool water.